Ancient Iran /Mede/Persian
Major Figures in Chronological Order
- Cyrus the Great (Achaemenid Founder, r. 559–530 BC).
- Darius I (the Great) (Achaemenid, r. 522–486 BC).
- Xerxes I (Achaemenid, r. 486–465 BC).
- Artaxerxes I (Achaemenid, r. 465–424 BC).
- Darius III (Last Achaemenid King, d. 330 BC).
- Seleucus I Nicator (Seleucid, r. 305–281 BC).
- Mithridates I (Parthian, r. 171–138 BC).
- **Ardash
Key Dynasties & Rulers
- Medes (c. 727–550 BC): Established the first major Iranian kingdom, with figures like Deioces and Cyaxares.
- Achaemenid Empire (550–330 BC): Founded by Cyrus the Great, expanded by Cambyses II and Darius the Great, and ruled by Xerxes I (Darius's son).
- Seleucid Empire (305–129 BC): Hellenistic rulers, starting with Seleucus I Nicator after Alexander the Great's conquest.
- Parthian Empire (Arsacid Dynasty, c. 247 BC–224 AD): Founded by Arsaces I, later rulers included Mithridates Iand Orodes II.
- Sasanian Empire (224–651 AD): Restored Persian rule, with famous kings like Ardashir I, Shapur I (who defeated Roman Emperors), Khusrau I, and Khusrau II.
This video explains the rise and fall of the Achaemenid Empire: