Isaiah 6:8 For Us?
Isaiah 6:8 (ESV) reads: "And I heard the voice of the Lord saying, 'Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?' Then I said, 'Here I am! Send me.'" This verse marks a pivotal moment where Isaiah, having been cleansed, voluntarily accepts the mission to be God's prophet to the people.
Key Aspects of Isaiah 6:8
- The Divine Question:The Lord asks, "Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?" This signifies God seeking a messenger to communicate His will, highlighting a, cooperative, and voluntary mission rather than a forced command.
- The Prophetic Response: Isaiah’s immediate, willing response, "Here am I; send me," demonstrates total submission and readiness to serve God.
- Context: This occurs within the context of Isaiah’s commission, where he receives a vision of God in the temple following the death of King Uzziah, and after his lips are cleansed by a seraphim.
Significance
- Willingness to Serve: It is often cited as a model for answering God's call to service, emphasizing a heart that is ready and willing.
- God's Mission: The phrase "for us" suggests a divine council or the divine plural, emphasizing the importance of the message.
- Impact: This, along with the verses that follow (Isaiah 6:9-13), establishes the difficult nature of the message Isaiah is tasked to deliver to a hard-hearted people.