Grieved Your Brothers Weak Faith
This question took a little study.
Verse 15. The words “grieved” and “destroy” describe two different stages. When one person sees another person doing what his own conscience condemns, it grieves him or causes him pain. when he proceeds to do what his conscience condemns, he commits sin and ultimately experiences moral destruction. The apostle’s point was this. If your behavior regarding non moral things is creating spiritual problems for another Christian, your conduct is not loving. The welfare of a brother should obviously take precedence over our liberty to do something nonmoral. The stronger brother’s conduct could destroy the weaker brother’s walk with God and would be a terrible thing to do to someone God has saved.
For example: Catholics have traditionally not eaten meat on Friday during Lent. If I invite a devout Catholic to dinner on such a Friday, I should not serve him meat because it would cause distress. I do not have to say I agree with him and I can eat a steak every other Friday, but I respect his faith limitations.
In Paul’s day some Jewish Christians had trouble giving up the Mosaic dietary restrictions even though they were no longer necessary.
The weakness in faith to which Paul refers is not weakness in basic faith but weakness in reassurance that one’s faith permits him to do certain things.
Verse 18 Acceptancewith God for Christians involves stressing right conduct, peace with God, and joy. This will win the approval of other Christians as they realize what is really important